.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

Report From The Capitol


David VanOs speaks with other Democratic Party leaders at the Texas State Capitol in Austin.

The Texas Legislature began its fifth special session on school finance Monday, and the hardest working man there isn't even a member.

David VanOs, Democratic candidate for Texas Attorney General, is conducting his second "Citizens' Filibuster" from the Capitol grounds, speaking for 24 hours on what's wrong with the current Attorney General, what's wrong with our state's education system, and other serious issues facing the people of Texas.

In David's own words, the filibuster will demand "a just and Constitutional system of free public education for all Texas children, like our forebears demanded when they declared independence from despotism in 1836, and like every generation of Texans has demanded ever since. Like every fight I take on, I'll fight this one 'till hell freezes over, then I'll fight it on the ice."

The filibuster got underway at noon Monday, and Rachel VanOs (David's lovely wife) provided supporters with a report on her attempt to exchange greetings with Republican Governor Rick Perry. As you might expect, our Governor was less than friendly.

"Unfortunately...not much got done today in the Capitol...but we met lots of Texans who are fed up with this current administration and who want to fight back."

"We even had the pleasure of seeing the great Governor...but he paid us no attention...I must say he's quite rude. I tried to get his attention to merely say hello, but he refused to look at me or acknowledge me and I got no smile, no eye contact, nothing!"

"I even called his name. First I said 'Governor,' and then 'Governor Perry,' then 'Rick,' next 'Hey Richard' and then...'Dick'...but still no response!"

"I then said to the Governor, 'don't you acknowledge your constituents, the citizens of Texas,' and before I knew it he slid off to the opposite side of his [Chevrolet] Suburban just to avoid me."

"I found out later that he was in a hurry because he was hosting a lavish [barbecue] on the lawn of the Governor's mansion...I also was very amused when I realized that his residence is so close to the Capitol. I thought he might have walked home or walked to and from work just to save a little gas, but I was wrong."

"Can you imagine living two or three doors down from your office and having someone drive you to your office door? Just imagine getting into your car for about 29 seconds and then parking your vehicle at work!"

"The actual first day of session, as reported by citizens who came in and out, said that all they saw today was a lot of awards and ceremony...for all that they think that they do...another wasted day in Texas. I pray our children will get a fair and decent education."

"Today we had Kathy Thomas stop by. She is running against State Senator Wentworth (R-San Antonio) and our newly elected Democratic nominee for Lieutenant Governor, Maria Luisa Alvarado...two great women with vision, hope and passion."

You can read the latest from the campaign trail as it happens on David's blog. You can also watch what goes on during the special session in the House or the Senate.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?