.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

 

We Survived The War On Christmas

A large swath of the country took off last Friday through yesterday. So did I. That's why there hasn't been anything posted since last Thursday.

There will be no Top Ten Conservative Idiots this week, or next, for that matter. The folks at Democratic Underground are taking a break until January 9.

Those housekeeping notes aside, I woke up to some amazing things on Christmas morning. I woke up to the gentle nudging of my beaming 4-year-old sister. I woke up to a beautifully decorated Christmas tree whose collection of decorations has grown and changed over the years as my family has. I woke up to an impressive bounty of gifts to be shared by the people I love most. It was one of the best Christmas mornings I've had in recent memory.

One thing I did not wake up to was the horrific war zone bemoaned by the talking heads at Fox News. There was no fire, no brimstone, and Central Texas Expressway was not flowing with the blood of the nonbelievers.

I celebrated Christmas as I have for as long as I can remember. In fact, and as I said earlier, it was probably one of the best Christmas celebrations I've enjoyed in some time. My religious views remain steadfast. The only thing I have to worry about is if e-mails and phone calls to friends and relatives were monitored, as it seems that secret presidential program is bigger than we first thought (and if MTV news takes notice, it must be huge). The War on Christmas, brought to you by Fox News, did not claim me or my family among its victims. The War on Terror might have, but it'll take more Congressional investigation to determine that.

As for that whole War on Christmas thing, let the facts speak for themselves. Ignore the facts as Bill O'Reilly spins them to you. Pay attention to the facts as they really are. It seems Mr. O'Reilly got it wrong not once, but twice, as he beat the drums of holy war. One of his errors got so much attention a Texas school district's attorneys intervened. Another has town officials in Michigan accusing him of making it up.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?