.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, July 01, 2005

 

Another Foolish, Selfish, and Deadly Conservative


Andrew Sullivan says having HIV is good.

While listening to the radio this afternoon, something very disturbing came to my attention. A well-known conservative (who just happens to be gay) is encouraging gay men to become HIV positive.

Andrew Sullivan, former editor of The New Republic, has a regular column in The Advocate, a news magazine for the GLBT community. In his latest Advocate column, Sullivan lists why HIV is such a good thing for him and why others should have it, too. Some of his more outlandish points follow:

What Sullivan doesn't tell you is that he got the disease by engaging in unprotected sex. He also doesn't tell you that his salary and health insurance pay for medication that most HIV+ patients can't afford. He doesn't tell you that the five-pill-a-day cocktail doesn't work in all patients, especially women. In that column he goes on to blast people and programs that attempt to teach the practice of safe sex...the very people attempting to keep others healthy while Sullivan extoles the virtues of self-infection.

See the column for yourself. Go to The Advocate online and click on "current article" (issue #942).

Why am I upset? That's simple. I have diabetes. Much like HIV (or any chronic illness), it's extremely expensive to properly treat. While my sickness is probably not my fault, there are things I could have done in my adolescent years to stave it off. It has made me take better care of myself, but that's certainly no reason to encourage it on others (as Sullivan does). No matter how well I care for myself, I'm still likely to die some 20 years sooner than I otherwise would. Am I healthier than I was ten years ago? Yes. Should you do all the unhealthy things that may cause diabetes so you can get healthier, too? Absolutely not.

Attitudes like Sullivan's are disgusting at best. They're murderous at worst.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?