.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

 

Why I'm Pro-Choice

There are countless stories like the one you are about to read. It's stories like these that make me proud to be pro-choice.

This story came to me from someone I know only as fierytopaz23. It comes in the wake of new parental consent laws here in Texas. Parental notification (but not consent) has been on the books since 1999.

"Last fall, my 16 year old daughter and I were driving home after phone banking and coloring a precinct map at the Kerry headquarters. She shared the following information.

She said she had volunteered that night because Kerry supported abortion.

A classmate of hers had become involved with a boy. She changed her mind during sex, but the boy didn't stop (which constitutes rape here in Texas). My daughter called Planned Parenthood and found out it cost $70 for the morning after pill. They didn't go to Planned Parenthood.

Later, the girl contacted my daughter again. She threatened to use a coat hanger on herself if my daughter didn't go with her to the illegal abortionist. My daughter believed her when she said she would do this and agreed not to tell anyone. The girl had the name and money for the abortionist.

My daughter drove her to the place. Her classmate was bleeding badly in the car. She drove her classmate home and told the mother that her daughter was having a horrible period. The girl was taken to the hospital. She will never be able to have children. She doesn't talk to my daughter anymore. She walks around in a haze.

I listened to this with a breaking heart.

Why hadn't she gone to her mother or father? They would kick her out of the house.

Why hadn't she come to me with this? I promised not to tell.

Did the girl consider having the baby and giving it up for adoption? She wanted to graduate with her class and didn't want her parents to know this had happened to her.

Why didn't she call a regular abortion clinic? They would have called her parents.

Teenagers often feel they know all the answers.

This bill won't encourage young woman to come forward before it is too late. This situation is best solved by over-the-counter birth control for the morning after, with advice by a licensed pharmacist. Better to find a pharmacist willing to counsel, then a back street abortionist."

Because Republicans refuse to accept reality, an entire circle of lives has been negatively impacted forever. It happens every day. Read more here.

I end this post with a question (from a different situation): if a girl is impregnated by her incestuous father and has no legal option but to go to him for permission to abort the byproduct of that incest, what do you think will result?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?