.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, June 27, 2005

 

Supreme Court Upholds Hollywood Advertising

For those of you wondering why I'm not writing about today's decisions regarding The Ten Commandments or Internet file sharing, don't let the humor intended in my headline confuse you. Before I present today's reaction, read what I wrote about this subject months ago.

As I've shown previously, the Ten Commandments monument at the Texas Capitol in Austin, while perhaps historic, is nothing more than Hollywood promotion. The monument in Austin was donated (as were many like it around the country) by a group funded by the famous director Cecil B. DeMille. Their whole purpose was to promote a movie. Which movie? The Ten Commandments.

I wonder how many uberchristians would still be cheering if they knew that the ultimate den of sin, Hollywood, was responsible for this latest icon in the culture wars.

That said, I do support today's ruling regarding the monument in Austin. The grounds of the Texas Capitol are home to a number of monuments, all purporting to preserve the memory of a variety of people and events. I believe that other religions should have the opportunity for their own monuments, but a Republican-dominated legislature wouldn't even consider it. Currently, they're supposed to be considering how to fix our school finance crisis, but I'll post more on that fiasco later.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?